Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who can help if I am in an abusive relationship?

The Police can help you. You can dial 999 in an emergency. You could also contact Live Fear Free - 0808 80 10 800 or visit the website.

There are many organisations ready and waiting to help.


2. Can anyone be abused?

Yes. Any person in or who has been in an intimate relationship or family members can be abused. Regardless of whether you are male or female, your age, your religion, your minority group; whether you are disabled or not, gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender or what type of family you come from – any one can be a victim of domestic violence or abuse.

Domestic abuse is unacceptable in any relationship, religion or culture. 


3. What about my children?

Children can be affected by domestic abuse even if you think they don’t see it.  The experience of abuse can give rise to confusion, guilt, distress, helplessness, isolation and worry. Boys in particular have been shown to express their anger at their inability to protect the victim. Children may be at risk of violence themselves. Many children will fake illness to stay at home to protect the victim or try to intervene – often putting themselves at risk.

Children are protected in law by safeguarding procedures. There is lots of help and support available.


4. What can the school do to help my children?

Schools and educational settings have a duty of care to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people (Education Act, 2002, Section 175) 

Your child’s school will have procedures for working with other agencies working in the field of domestic abuse. In Wales, every school will have a School Community Police Officer (SCPO) who will contribute to prevention and awareness raising among pupils helping to change attitudes and influence future behaviour as well as helping to build essential skills and abilities and promoting well being. The SCPOs are also available to support the school should a child makes a disclosure.

There are practical things a school can do to help you and your child.  They should:

  • Ensure all staff are made aware of the circumstances
  • Maintain security and respect confidentiality (including exercising caution when issuing press reports and photographs)
  • Make sure a child is dealt with sensitively
  • Ensure that any behavioural problems are treated appropriately
  • Recognise the benefits of out of hours learning opportunities
  • Understand that there can be problems meeting the costs of school trips or extra curricular activities.

If a child has had to move school – the school will:

  • Ensure that a child does not feel isolated when starting school
  • Implement a mentoring scheme to help provide support and stability.

The Personal and Social Education Curriculum helps to create a positive school ethos where pupils have a safe environment to learn and have the opportunity and confidence to share concerns with others. If you have concerns talk to the head teacher. You will be listened too.