Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is being done to help educate children and young people about ASB?

The best education is in the home. Parents who guide and encourage their children to respect others will not go wrong.

Schools also teach about respect through their curriculum and in their day to day activities. Your School Community Police Officer (SCPO) also has a role to play. The officers visit schools regularly and deliver lessons dealing with ASB and its consequences. As part of their supportive policing role they will also deal with issues that arise and seek to restore good relationships between pupils and others.


2. Is bullying a type of anti-social behaviour?

The systematic bullying of children in public recreation grounds, on the way to school or even on school grounds, is anti-social behaviour. In fact, it is any abusive behaviour aimed at causing distress or fear to certain people, for example, elderly, young or people with a disability.

3. There is nowhere for my child to play safely. What can I do?

Parents are being advised to encourage their children to play outside to help improve heath and wellbeing.

You may need to get together with friends and neighbours to improve local amenities provided by your Local Authority. Failing that, arranging simple activities such as walks and games and having a friend over will be beneficial.

There are organised activities for children and young people in many areas – contact your school and local authority for details.


4. Do Civil Injunctions against anti-social behaviour work?

Civil Injunctions are a part of an approach to help children young people and others change their behaviour. They are also designed to help protect victims, neighbours or even whole communities from the behaviour that has frightened or intimidated them or damaged their quality of life.

A Civil Injunction can be given by the Court to an individual whose behaviour is shown to be anti-social.  It will be tailored to the individual’s needs. Depending on the problem behaviour in the first place, the Injunction may ban a person from threatening, intimidating or disruptive actions, from spending time with particular friends and from visiting certain areas.

(Prior to 2015, the courts issued similar Anti-Social Behaviour Orders, ASBOs, and Anti-Social Behaviour Injunctions, ASBIs.)

5. Can I report ASB?

Yes you can. If you live in a housing association property you will be able to report the matter to your housing provider. In Wales you can phone 101 the non emergency police help line. Remember use 999 only in an emergency.


6. I have heard about a respect campaign. What is it?

Respect is the campaign across England and Wales to reduce anti-social behaviour. The Respect Action Plan details how government will encourage respect in communities, including stamping out anti-social behaviour. Find out more about Respect from the Home Office website.

7. If I report someone for being anti-social will my name be revealed?

All complaints are treated as confidential under the Data Protection Act. You do not have to worry about your identity being revealed.


8. My neighbours and I do not get on. They deliberately bang doors at night which frightens my children and keeps them awake. Is this anti-social behaviour?

There may be a fine line between anti-social behaviour and disputes between neighbours over relatively minor inconveniences, although these may, if persistent, become anti-social behaviour.

Consistent noise and nuisance can be anti-social behaviour and can have an effect on children and others alike.