The winners of our recent internet safety poster competition with primary schools across north Wales have been announced.
A total of 578 entries were received following the launch of the competition back in January and three winners have been chosen who will receive a personal prize as well as a cash prize for their school.
Year 4 pupil Eva from Ysgol Edern in Pwllheli, Year 5 pupil Manulmi of Rhosddu Primary School in Wrexham and 8-year-old Alyssa of St Brigids School in Denbigh were chosen as the overall winners following a rigorous judging panel which included Chief Constable Carl Foulkes and the High Sheriffs of Clwyd and Gwynedd.
All have won £300 for their school and a Llechwedd family voucher.
Back in January this year North Wales Police’s SchoolBeat programme, the Cyber Crime Team and PACT (Police and Community Trust) launched the initiative with the region’s primary schools to help raise awareness of how to stay safe online.
Due to the sharp increase in the amount of time youngsters have spent online over recent months due to the pandemic, officers wanted children to have the opportunity to get creative and be in with a chance of winning some fantastic prizes for themselves and for their schools.
Chief Constable Carl Foulkes said: “The response from children across north Wales has been phenomenal and we were overwhelmed with over 570 entries. The result was an array of colourful, creative and informative designs and it was a really difficult decision to have to make.
“We want to give a massive thank you to the hundreds of children who took part in the competition and offer our congratulations to the worthy winners.”
Due to the overwhelming amount of entries, the panel chose runners-up, who will all receive a prize thanks to the support from the High Sheriffs of Clwyd and Gwynedd through their Crimebeat Funds, the North Wales Police Federation, Ospreys Rugby, Wrexham Football Club, CGI, Cread and Llechwedd Slate Mountain.
Western (Gwynedd and Anglesey) winners and finalists:
· Winner: Eva, Ysgol Edern: £300 for the school and Llechwedd family voucher
· Runner-up: Mali Wynne-Owen, Ysgol Pentreuchaf, Pwllheli: £150 for the school and Llechwedd family voucher
· Ifan Alun Midwood, Ysgol Gynradd Edern, Pwllheli
· Lacey Davies, Ysgol Godre’r Berwyn, Y Bala
· Caron Lleu Jones, Ysgol Bro Llifon, Groeslon
· Elsi Allsup, Ysgol Llanllechid
· Beca Wyn-Pass, Ysgol Brynaerau, Pontllyfni
· Wil Dafydd Williams, Ysgol Morfa Nefyn
· Nico Jones, Ysgol Nefyn
· Jessica Elizabeth Jones, Ysgol Llanbedrog
· Fflur Roberts, Ysgol Eifion Wyn, Porthmadog
Central (Conwy and Denbighshire) winners and finalists:
· Winner: Alyssa, St Brigid’s School, Denbigh: £300 for the school and Llechwedd family voucher.
· Runner-up: Samsun Grimley, Ysgol Maes Owen, Kinmel Bay: £150 for the school and Llechwedd family voucher
· Tabitha Shields, Ysgol Tudno, Llandudno
· Milly Clarke, Bodnant Community School, Prestatyn
· Beatrice Roberts, Ysgol Twm o’r Nant, Denbigh
· Daisie Lyons, St Brigid’s School, Denbigh
· Tallie Lloyd, Ysgol y Parc, Denbigh
Eastern (Flintshire and Wrexham) winners and finalists:
· Winner: Manulmi, Rhosddu Primary School, Wrexham: £300 for the school and Llechwedd family voucher
· Runner-up: Keirah Gallagher, Ysgol Bryn Pennant, Mostyn: £150 for the school and Llechwedd family voucher
· Sophie Carroll, Cornist Park School, Flint
· Kyle Nuthall, Ysgol Penrhyn, New Broughton
· Bella Haynes, Ysgol yr Hafod, Johnstown
· Erin Bellis, Southdown Primary School, Buckley
· Sophie Upton, Southdown Primary School, Buckley
· Kelly Martin, Ysgol Estyn, Hope
· Gracie Jarvis, Ysgol yr Hafod, Johnstown